Friday, July 6, 2007

Ich bin ein Berliner (I am a donut)

First day down in the big ßerlin (yeah German keyboard!...and yes, I know that symbol stand for double s and therefore makes no sense to pronounce)

The Reedster and I are thinking we may never leave. Berlin is such a beautiful city and so welcoming, that we are having a blast. Today we slept in (comme d´habitude) and decided to just wander the city. We took the U-Bahn, S-Bahn to Alexanderplatz and walked our way back down the city center to Museum Island, the Reichstag, the Brandenburg Gate and some other sites. The main part of the city is really well planned out, what with all of the Museums in the same area and a long, wide boulevard with important monuments and buildings to see on it. Tomorrow are going to get up and take a walking tour of the town to get a feel for it. Then maybe some museum trips later on.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Interesting. I've never been there. Back in 1977 there was a big wall and it was right in the middle of communist territory, so I passed!

Teresa said...

Hey Donut Woman!
Sounds interesting.
Uncle Daniel enjoyed Berlin and Perry and Marlene said it was a happening place when they went there to see David, their friend who worked with the Canadian consulate. I've never been to Berlin. I haven't been anywhere in months. See you in 10 sleeps....
Happiness and Joy!

Anonymous said...

Berlin is definitely one of the cities on my "To Go" list. That and Vienna are my destinations next summer. I'm glad you're enjoying it! I can just imagine it would be a blast.

But come home! Judy and CT and I miss you!

Unknown said...

hmm.... never been there. another example of my deprived childhood

On another note, I'm getting money back from Australia, views from the top of Mt. Shasta are amazing and Vancouver is lovely this time of year.